Dr David Rieter Workshop
On Wednesday 10th June City Libraries presented a full day workshop by Dr David Rieter from Interactive Publications Pty Ltd (IP). Thanks to funding from Townsville City Council twenty people attended the free of charge workshop and as well as gaining an inside view of publishing, we were even supplied morning tea and lunch. Thank you Annette Burns from City Libraries for looking after us so well.
David is the director of Interactive Publications. IP has four imprints.
- Glasshouse Books: Biographies & non-fiction.
- IP Kids: Children’s books.
- IP Digital
- Interactive Press: Flagship literary imprint & poetry.
- IP Pics: Is a competition for unpublished manuscripts and is open for submissions from 1st October - 1st December 2009.
Best Creative non-fiction
Best first book any genre.
Interactive Publications is also involved in an Emerging Author Series. Each year they nominate up to seven titles from their forward list to the Australian Council for support under their Presentation of Promotions Program.
David spoke on the importance of presentation and covered independent and mainstream publishing as well as self- publishing. He stressed that publishing is easy - it’s getting noticed that is difficult.
- Do’s and Don’ts of getting started.
- Writing for the reader.
- How to sell your work to a publisher.
- The importance of your Covering Letter and Synopsis.
- Contracts and getting paid.
- Promoting your work- pre-publication.
- Targeting the Media.
Thank you David for a most informative workshop - and for the bonus discussion that evening at our weekly writer’s meeting. For further information on IP visit David’s website on http://www.ipoz.biz/
WITS is looking forward to working in partnership with Townsville City Council and in conjunction with City Libraries to present future workshops and events.