Are you a writer.
If you are waiting for inspiration you're not a writer you're a waiter!
Inaugural Writing Australia Unpublished Manuscript Award
$10,000 + $2,000 for a mentor of your choice
The Award, to aid in the development of the next stage of an unpublished manuscript, is for a work of adult literary or genre fiction. It will be granted to the work that shows the greatest promise and likely to benefit most from this opportunity.
The winner will receive a cash prize of $10,000 and, in consultation with organisers, will be offered a suitable mentor selected from some of Australia’s best authors.
Valerie Parv, international best-selling author, is a successful writer of romance and non-fiction. Valerie’s books have sold more than twenty-six million copies internationally, and been translated into over twenty languages from Russian to Japanese and Icelandic.
Mark Macleod is a Senior Lecturer in English at Charles Sturt University and well known as a Television and Radio Presenter. Mark was Project Manager of ‘My Favourite Book’ for ABCTV. He published books for young readers and for adults under his own name imprint at Hodder Headline.
Peter Bishop is one of Australia’s most effective writing teachers and mentors. Working with Australia’s leading authors he has enjoyed outstanding success as the Creative Director of Varuna -The Writers’ House in the Blue Mountains - from 1994 to 2010.
Applications close: Thursday 13 October 2011
Entry form: http://writingaustralia.org.au/
Hi Writers in Townsville
We’ve got exciting, free workshops aimed at writers curious about crime writing coming up in Townsville and Cairns on 17 and 18 September respectively. I hope you can make it, They’re free for Queensland Writers Centre members and $115 for non-members. Details below:
Crime fiction writer PM Newton is coming to North Queensland (Townsville - 17 Sept, Cairns - 18 Sept) to take you into the dark and suspenseful world of crime fiction.
PM Newton will introduce you to the seething underbelly of crime writing and arm you with the ammo that will give you the confidence to get started with a life of crime.
This workshop is designed for beginners interested in learning the basics of beginnings, plot, structure, setting, and suspense. This workshop is FREE to QWC members so book soon to avoid disappointment..
Just to reiterate: Wits is a member of QWC so anyone who is a paid up member of Wits for this year (2011) is FREE
Also: Writers should support these regional events. The more bums on seats the more workshops etc we will have up here.
The shortlist for the 2011 Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards has been announced.
The Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards is one of the richest and most diverse literary awards programs in Australia, with a proud history of recognising, celebrating and supporting outstanding Australian writers on a national scale.
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Tuesday 6 September.
Also here are two web sites that one our members found helpful
Shaun is a writer of war/fantasy/SF. His novel is complete and is in the dreaded editing stage.
This is Shaun's second workshop. The last one on weapons was amazing. Guns, spears, ammo, bombs,swords and bows and arrows. It just makes you want to go and write a fight scene.
Here is a run down of his up and coming mini workshop.
For WiTs; Mini workshop on researching for Zicastor.
A brief rundown of how I prepared for the writing of my novel Zicastor:
A quick overview on:-
What inspired me to write.
How I created my characters
What tools I used to get my story started and flowing.
How I researched weapons and tactics
And what I’ve done since finishing the novel.Very happy to answer questions throughout
SUITED TO WRITERS AT ALL STAGES OF THEIR WRITING CAREER - ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR AUTHORS WHO ARE STARTING ON THEIR FIRST MANUSCRIPT
Amanda Hocking is the best-selling “indie” novelist on the Kindle store with around 100,000 copies of her 10 e-books selling each month. Unlike traditional book deals, however, Hocking keeps a whopping 70 percent of revenue earned from her books, which sell for $0.99 to $2.99 apiece. (Amazon keeps the other 30 percent.)If you do the math, this means Hocking is earning somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 million per year — a staggering amount. In fact, according to Novelr, “there is no traditional publisher in the world right now that can offer Amanda Hocking terms that are better than what she’s currently getting, right now on the Kindle store, all on her own.”For more visit: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Shack/101463736572726?v=wall